Saturday, February 12, 2005

Day III: Superbowl Monday Morning


Superbowl Crew

While all of my friends and family in America were settling in for a night of Superbowl Sunday I was on the other side of the world, rising for a morning of Superbowl Monday. Maybe you had chips and dip, guacomole, or even buffalo wings. Imagine, instead, watching football while digesting a fresh omelette and a bowl of hot cereal. It's even better than you can envision. For some reason which I cannot describe, football and breakfast complement eachother most favorably. My only other experience with this unusual pairing was for my 22nd birthday at Notre Dame, where I participated in the infamous 7am Kegs and Eggs pre-game ritual. Top it off with a Bloody Mary and you have the makings for the perfect day of pigskin. I was excited to once again enjoy some early morning tackling action so my Superbowl buddy, Sean, and I arrived at the Lobby Bar promptly at 9am and asked a confused and bewildered lounge hostess to be seated in the otherwise vacant bar. What's this, some Foreigners what to drink at 9am?! What's even better is that I think she was the same woman that asked Sean and I to leave the night before, as the bar was closing at 1am, and no less than 8 hours later we were back for more. The game was good, and I'm sure you all saw it so there is no point in recounting it. We enjoyed the Paul McCartney Halftime show, agreeing it was the best in recent memory, purely for the fact that it wasn't another Teeny-bopper Pop-star, nor did it rely primarily leather pants and pyrotechnics. We were soon joined by Marcin and the three of us ordered Coronas, deciding that drinking at 10am would not be as strange as watching the Superbowl without a beer. Mmmmm Beer and Omelette...and football. Such an underappreciated combination. It even made up for the commentary being entirely in Chinese, except the occasional "WOW!" I highly recommend it. I challenge any of you to picture a better alternative to any other Monday morning than watching Mandarine-narrated American Championship Football in a hotel bar at mid-morning in Qingdao China.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home