Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Buddha Fest!!




A sure sign that spring is finally wandering its way back to Korea is the gradual appearance of brightly colored lanterns, hung for Buddha's birthday. They appear bit by bit, slowly restoring some much needed color and bulbous frivolity to the gray, thawing city. The weekend of Buddha's birthday is commemorated with a street fair and lantern parade. The downtown side streets fill with people of all ages, sizes, colors and shapes (well, there was a notable absence of purple squarish people...) and everyone was eager to soak up some spring sun.

Friends and I made our own lanterns, sampled buddhist food, watched performances and played traditional games.

.















Turns out, as a Korean child 100 years ago, I would have been mocked for my inability to jump giant-rope or throw sticks. But now, as it happened, I'm big enough to pummel the kids who laughed at me...they won't do it again.
After the street fair, my friends and I acquired some choice front row seating atop an electrical box for the lantern parade. It was fantastic..ally long. But luminous as well. Great Time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home