Saturday, March 17, 2007

"Dokdo is Korea!"



















So what do you get when you put a tiny rock of uninhabitable land directly between Japan and Korea? An international "It's mine! It's mine! It's mine!" slap & grab fight. And a fun weekend getaway!
Dokdo has been the focus of fierce Korean national pride for most of the 2 .35 years that I've spent here. To be fair, there are fishing rights and territory borders blah blah blah at stake, but it all seems a bit, how shall I say?..Infantile to be bickering over a remote crag that would not garner any interest or value, had it not been for the fact the "other-guy-wants-it". However I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to visit the infamous site and its neighboring resort island Ulleungdo.

As the picture may suggest Jenny and I spent a majority of the weekend under the influence of heavy drugs...for "sea-sickness". The trip there involved a nauseating 3 hour ferry from the Korean peninsular coast to Ulleungdo immediately followed by Another 3 hour ferry of equally tummy turning turbulence to...>Ta DA! a big rock. The pride of Korea...
I'm impressed...really...






Well all was not a loss because there was much fun to be had back on Ulleungdo. We did some good hiking and exploring around the island which turned out to be quite large and mountainous providing some beautiful views. I bet Ulleungdo is bitter that Dokdo gets all the undeserved attention. If it were up to me I'd let Japan have Dokdo, then make them realize what a pathetic prize it truly is next to the bigger, better, inhabitable Ulleungdo. Childish disputes can only be resolved by childish measures. And I am a self-declared expert in that arena.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home