Saturday, January 08, 2005

Ravin' Korean New Year's

So New Year's Eve happens to be one of my favorite holidays. The party doesn't even Begin until Midnight, everyone gets dressed up fancy And wears stupid hats, and there's a Countdown involved!! What's not to love!?

So for me, Asia is the perfect place to be for New Years because in Asia once a year just isn't enough for these people, they kick the year off twice! Once on Dec. 31/Jan. 1, and then again for Lunar New Year mid-Feb. So if you think about it they are twice as experienced at celebrating it as any other western continent who so exclusively holds to the Roman calendar. Imagine! Two Annual celebrations of the same..."annu". It's like getting two birthdays! Which I did once, but this time I don't have to lie to the waiter at TGI Fridays just to get a free dessert!

And you could figure that there are 8 times zones spanning Asia- so if you were really ambitious, that makes for 16 potential New Years Celebrations! Some may consider this overkill, but I take it as a challenge!

So anyway, I've already had my first New Year's here. My friends and I went to a big Rave with DJ Pete Togs, a countdown confetti explosion, glow-sticks (which we twirled nunchuck style and ended up inflicting some head injuries) and free drinks until Midnight (which, admittedly, probably contributed to the nunchuck-glow-stick injuries). But glow-stick bruises and all the night was all that I could hope for my first round of New Years Celebrating...now I'm getting ready for round 2 next month. Hail to the Lunar Calendar!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home